core.stdcpp

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 18:05:17 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 00:32:20 UTC, Mike wrote:
> I believe druntime's scope should be reduced to simply
> implementing the language, not creating an OS or library API.
> That's what phobos and DUB are for.
>
> I'm asking this community to consider setting a new precedent
> for druntime:  reduce the scope to just the language
> implementation, encapsulate and isolate the platform specific
> logic (e.g. the ports - see 11666), and deport the artificial
> dependencies to phobos or other libraries.

What do you think about following compromise:

1) C bindings are defined in spec to be optional
2) They are still kept in druntime repo but declared an
implementation detail
3) C bindings are defined to be mandatory in Phobos - if Phobos
is used with druntime that does not provide C bindings, it must
expose ones of its own.

It effectively keeps existing layout but moves from a
specification to implementation detail making binding-free
druntime 100% legal D implementation.