core.stdcpp

eles via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 27 01:22:06 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 07:52:18 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "eles"  wrote in message
> news:ybcxmuwwpsiyupwerzsa at forum.dlang.org...

> Requiring full c/OS bindings in druntime is so useful, and it
> costs us so little.

But the request is simply to split the current druntime in a
language-runtime and a phobos-runtime. The namespace and so on
might even remain the same and the existing code would run
unmodified. What is really important is that a clear separation
exists between the two *inside* the implementation. The users of
D are not concerned about that, the compiler designers are. Have,
as now, the language-runtime + the phobos-runtime calles as
druntime. Why does bother you a re-modularization of druntime?

> Besides a warm fuzzy feeling, not requiring them seems to only
> benefit D implementations for theoretical platforms that
> probably don't exist.

One such platform exists and is the embedded system, others are
the linux kernel and the like, and even others are writing D
compiler back-ends and, yes, druntimes (well, exactly the part
that it is called phobos-runtime above).

If you make porting harder, then you can safely bet that those
ports won't ever exist. But is this truly what we want?