Daemonize v0.1 - simple way to create cross-platform daemons

NCrashed via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 13:20:46 PDT 2014

> IIRC, I read in your code that composed signals means the next
> delegate must have the (logger, signal) {...} form.
> Why?
I can (not must) have the form, the delegate params are tested
independently from signal composition.

> Is that the standard behavior for daemons in OSes?
Most signals are simply ignored (except termination ones).

> You could have the daemon stopped, after logging the unhandled
> signal.
> Or you could also block compilation if a daemon does not handle
> all signals...
Some signals could be sent without any reason: sighup or
interrogate in windows.
Ignoring most signals is a better strategy, the exception could
be done for terminating signals - their default handlers should
set `shouldExit` flag to true.

> Or have a 'catch-all' delegate, as std.concurrency.receive,
> which uses
> a (Variant v) {...} delegate at the end.
> See:
> http://dlang.org/library/std/concurrency/receive.html
Good idea, it will be implemented.

> (btw, signals could also be types and you could have a handling
> syntax
> similar to receive).
Ohh, that is much more complicated feature as it may seem.
Signaling in both OSes are very limited. We need an additional
channel to pass arbitrary memory between processes and also
restrict data to be serializable. If I continue to move in that
direction, the D will occasionally obtain a library for
distributed cluster computing (like Cloud Haskell) ;).