forum.dlang.org is now using DCaptcha

krzaq via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 2 17:48:55 PST 2014

Asking for feature names is a very bad choice, you're essentially
excluding all beginners and it's almost impossible to google the
answers (you want to exclude lazy uninterested humans, not all of
them, right?). Besides, I thought D was supposed to be the type
of language one should be able to successfully program with
without the knowledge of formal names.

For example, apparently calling the following a "raw string" or
"raw string literal" is faux pas in the D language.

> What is the name of the D language syntax feature illustrated
> in the following fragment of D code?
>
> string A = q"DELIM
> `Why with an anxious look at the
> door-- Pray, what is the Project (and
> any other medium if you please!
> "William the Conqueror, whose cause
> was favoured by the carrier,' she
> thought; `and how funny it'll seem to
> see that she let the jury--'
> DELIM";

There were others and I don't think they were right either. Sure,
I got slices right (oh wait, "slices" wouldn't be a valid answer,
actually), but I was sure the "anonymous class" was meant to be
"constructor" - it is that, right? This feels a lot like poetry
in the high school: "what did the author mean"?

As for math/algorithms, this one feels too advanced:
> return iota(9).reduce!"a+b";
So you need to know what `iota` and `reduce` do (okay, that can
be googled), understand this weird lambda syntax and know that
`iota(n)` will not generate an element equal to `n` just to know
that it will return sum of numbers from 1 to 8. And then you're
required either to calculate it the tedious way or know that sum
from 1 to n equals `n*(n+1)/2`.

Sure, this will eliminate spammers. But I wonder what the word of
mouth will be:
<A> Have you tried asking on the D forum?
<B> Yeah, but they thought I was a spammer and wouldn't let me
post.
<A> Oh, well, maybe try to do it in python.

tl;dr: waaaaaaaaaaay too difficult