Travis-CI support for D

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 13 16:42:38 PST 2014

On 14/12/2014 4:28 a.m., Martin Nowak wrote:
> On 12/13/2014 02:59 PM, ZombineDev wrote:
>> Thanks for the great work!
>>
>> Is it possible to also include dmd+druntimie+phobos git-head?
>>
>> It would be helpful to know if your project can be built with the new
>> version of DMD (when it is officially released) ahead of time. If you
>> are using some yet-to be deprecated code you can fix the issue much
>> sooner and when the next version is released the migration cost would be
>> virtually zero.
>> Sure, this won't be useful for everybody, but I am sure that for some
>> larger organizations this will be helpful.
>> Also this will help test the new compiler and standard library code
>> better, which should benefit everyone.
>
> There are some interesting points in here, but the implication that more
> people should test master is wrong, at least I hope so.
>
> 1. New releases should be pain-free
>
>     Obviously new releases shouldn't introduce regressions.
>     If there are new warnings/deprecations you should be able to live
>     with them for a while and fix them when you have time. This is how
>     we perceive this and if that doesn't work for you I'd be interested
>     to know why.
>
> 2. master == unstable
>
>     There are quite some newsgroup posts like "my project doesn't build
>     with the latest dmd" or "latests dmd does A". That's not too helpful
>     IMO, as it creates additional support overhead (deduplicating
>     issues, answering, discussing). Therefor I wouldn't want to
>     encourage this even more. If something breaks, go directly to
>     bugzilla and file an issue. If you happen to know the cause go to
>     github and add a comment on the relevant pull. New dmd and phobos
>     code should be well tested and designed before we merge it into
>     master. Things like std.experimental are supposed to deal with the
>     lack of broad testing feedback during normal development.
>
> 3. Beta is for testing
>
>     Alpha and beta releases are the right time to try a new release
>     and they will be available on Travis-CI too [1]. During beta
>     releases we're actively monitoring the dmd-beta mailing list [2]
>     and are fixing any open regressions. This is the time when we're
>     most receptive for newly reported issues.
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/pull/340/files#diff-ac986a81b67f1bd5851c535881c18abeR91

>> Git pulling and rebuilding dmd every time you update your project is not
>> extremely efficient, but perhaps this can be done once a week. Or the
>> autotester can upload the first binaries that pass all tests to some ftp
>> in the beginning of every week.
>
> I was thinking about releasing nightlies every now and then. We can't
> really reduce the release cycle without massively changing our workflow.
> That doesn't seem worthwhile for the few core contributors that we are.
>
>> I am not very familiar with Travis or the dmd release process, so
>> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Done :)
> [...]

I'm also on the side of, we should get dmd, gdc and ldc nightlies
available. As an early warning of issues instead of OMG it breaks fixxx
itttttttttttt.
Even though I don't use travis, I do think it would be a good thing to
have. And anyway, it forces us to have good infrastructure going for
automated releases.