2D game engine written in D is in progress

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 23:22:13 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 01:00:30 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
>> It's not a dethroner for the Unreal Engine 4, but I try my best
>> to get it into work. It's current name is VDP engine, but if
>> you
>> can come up with a better name I might change it. I still
>> haven't
>> decided to make it open or closed source (if it'll be ever used
>> by any game that makes profit, I'd like to get some share from
>> it).
>
> Noticed there's a question at Reddit (a bot submits all
> announce threads to Reddit):
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/2pm2ba/2d_game_engine_written_in_d_is_in_progress/

Since others are mentioning commercial open-source models and
that guy asked about using a more liberal license, let me mention
another newer model.  Develop most of the codebase in the open
under a permissive license like MIT/BSD/Apache but keep some of
the features or patches closed, particularly those that would
most interest potential commercial licensees.

This is the model used by Android, the most successful open
source project ever, where AOSP is released as OSS then the
hardware and smartphone vendors add their proprietary blobs and
patches before selling the entire software bundle.  It's probably
the best model if you want to be open source, get wide usage, and
still have good commercial possibilities.