Calypso: Direct and full interfacing to C++

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 22 23:18:00 PST 2014

On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 23:14:44 UTC, Elie Morisse wrote:
>>Being 100% compatible with C++ means more or less adding a
>>fully functional C++ compiler front end to D. Anecdotal
>>evidence suggests that writing such is a minimum of a 10
>>man-year project, essentially making a D compiler with such
>>capability unimplementable.
> http://dlang.org/cpp_interface.html
>
> Well.. it is :D

Well, technically speaking you DO include fully functional C++
compiler front end with much more than 10 man-years of time
invested - it just happens that it is already available and
called clang :)

Project itself is very cool but I am in doubts about possibility
of merging this upstream. Doing so would make full D
implementation effectively impossible without some C++ compiler
already available as a library on same platform - quite a
restriction!

I think it is better suited as LDC extension and would discourage
its usage in public open-source projects sticking to old way of C
binding generation instead. For more in-house projects it looks
like an absolute killer and exactly the thing Facebook guys
wanted :)