Calypso: Direct and full interfacing to C++

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 02:52:57 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 07:18:01 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Project itself is very cool but I am in doubts about
> possibility of merging this upstream. Doing so would make full
> D implementation effectively impossible without some C++
> compiler already available as a library on same platform -
> quite a restriction!

Just to be clear, you're talking about needing the C++
compiler-as-library on the platform where the compiler is being
run, right?

I don't see how that prevents upstreaming, so long as it's made
clear that it's platform-dependent. Are there any particular
platforms you are concerned about?

> I think it is better suited as LDC extension and would
> discourage its usage in public open-source projects sticking to
> old way of C binding generation instead. For more in-house
> projects it looks like an absolute killer and exactly the thing
> Facebook guys wanted :)

Agree that it's best suited as an extension, but that doesn't
prevent it being an official part of the LDC codebase. The most
problematic aspect is that it divides the compilers in terms of
features supported. As you suggest, for public  projects, it's
not nice to bind people to a single compiler.