Calypso: Direct and full interfacing to C++

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 03:53:37 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 10:52:58 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 07:18:01 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Just to be clear, you're talking about needing the C++
> compiler-as-library on the platform where the compiler is being
> run, right?
>
> I don't see how that prevents upstreaming, so long as it's made
> clear that it's platform-dependent. Are there any particular
> platforms you are concerned about?

Consider both things like embedded/MIPS and Windows64 - LLVM
tooling is not as strong on those right now, GCC does not provide
such easy way to reuse C++ frontend and with DMD/MSVC it is
simply beyond feasibility.

By upstream I don't mean LDC upstream but D upstream - we don't
want it to become part of full language spec if implementation is
so reliable on specific toolchain. It has been already discussed
when Jacob proposed dstep integration AFAIR.