D/Objective-C 64bit

Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 11:01:56 PST 2014

On Friday, 26 December 2014 at 17:47:29 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-12-25 14:12, Christian Schneider wrote:
>> Just for my information: Why is it no longer possible to have
>> multiple d
>> methods (or overloaded constructors) to map to the same
>> Objective-C
>> implementation?
>>
>> I though it was quite nice to have overloaded d constructors
>> for the
>> various init.. methods.
>
> Can you give me an example of what's not working?

previously it was possible to have a few D methods "point" to the
same Objective-C method like this:

     NSView initWithFrame(NSRect frameRect)
@selector("initWithFrame:")  ;
     this(NSRect frameRect) @selector("initWithFrame:")  ;

Now with the latest version I get this error for the above two
lines:

../../Interfaces/appkit/view.d(19): Error: constructor
appkit.view.NSView.this Objcective-C selector 'initWithFrame:'
already in use by function 'initWithFrame'.

I thought, it was a nice convenience to make both potential types
of programmers happy, those leaning more towards Objective-C /
named parameters can use the verbose, first option, while the
ones coming more from C/C++ can use the shortcut, the 2nd option.

But it's no big deal, I'll just remove the "shortcut".  My
question was more for understanding why it was a) possible in the
past and b) what is the motivation behind the decision that it is
no longer possible now.