Bounty for -minimal compiler flag

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 07:56:16 PST 2014

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:46:19 -0500, Adam D. Ruppe
<destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 14 February 2014 at 15:34:16 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I think classes heavily depend on druntime, I believe Walter was
>> indicating they would not be allowed (which trivially excludes class ==)
>
> My problem with excluding them is that it isn't hard to bring in the
> druntime parts they depend on when you need it. It's not like writing a
> class is a hidden feature - you don't need the compiler to help you find
> places you used them, and the linker error about the missing functions
> are fine.
>
> Then we can just provide class support in one module that you just start
> compiling in to opt-in to the feature.

Classes are typically written with an expectation that the GC will clean
them up. I don't think you can just get rid of that expectation. A class
written without the assumption of the runtime is a very different object,
and I would be hesitant to name it 'class' in D.

I recommend not supporting classes, at least for now.

-Steve