DigitalMars' GSoC application has been rejected

Mike none at none.com
Thu Feb 27 19:42:11 PST 2014

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 23:21:29 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
wrote:
> https://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/development
> (at the bottom)
>
> Experienced D developers, who feel they could use
> on a specific project, or who would be otherwise interested in
> taking on an 'apprentice' could list projects they would like
> to see someone take on.  Interested developers could browse
> through and see if any of the proposed projects piqued their
> interest.

IMO this is EXACTLY what this effort needs.  I don't know what
happened to the apprenticeship custom, but it needs a
comeback...badly.  This is a great idea.  The apprentices this
year will likely become the mentors of next year, and it will
only accelerate.

Make a wiki page to get started.  Post an announcement.  People
may be apprehensive at first, but I think it will catch on.  If
it doesn't, no harm done.

> However, that doesn't entirely fulfill #2 in your list.
> The 'student' needs some motivation to complete the project
> I suppose.  Perhaps a DConf T-shirt autographed by Walter and
> Andrei or something :o)

I would do it simply for the benefit of education.  Lord knows
it'd be a better return on my investment than an overpriced
university.  It would also help my career to say that I worked
under some of the prominent names in this community.

Mentors would benefit as well.  I'm sure Iain would love some
help doing the 2.065.0 merge, yes?  They would learn some
valuable leadership skills as well, and may actually enjoy the
experience.  I greatly enjoyed the little mentoring I've done in
my career.

I can only see good things coming out of such an effort, if it
takes hold.  It's a superb idea.

Mike