std.signal : voting has begun

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 20:45:56 PST 2014

On Monday, 6 January 2014 at 09:11:09 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Some time ago there have been a review for `std.signal` Phobos
> proposal
> (http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ujlhznaphepibgtpcoqz@forum.dlang.org#post-ujlhznaphepibgtpcoqz:40forum.dlang.org).
> It have not received much feedback and I was a it too busy to
> proceed with final voting at that moment but with no
> outstanding issues to address nothing prevents that final step.
>
> Let's put 2 week deadline to refresh memories about the
> proposal and make some decision. Voting closes at January 20th
> 23:59 GMT 0
>
> Please take some time and help make Phobos better ;)

No.

I think the use of a string mixin here is bad for usability,
readability and documentation. I think we should either search
for a different solution to this problem (maybe even think about
a language enhancement) or just abandon the idea altogether.

I also think it would be better if the "weak" connect that
currently takes a delegate would just take a function pointer; as
it is, I think this part of the interface is error prone.

On a semi-related note, the implementation has a number of
problems. As they don't affect the interface, they don't count
towards my vote, but I'll mention them anyway: the code uses
widely inconsistent formatting which really harms readability,
and there's at least one seriously questionable allocation
strategy in there. Additionally, I think the presented
documentation is really poorly written.