Call D code from C#

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 21:31:51 PST 2014

On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 22:09:14 UTC, tc wrote:
>> Which i a real shame...If D was able to access a UI like Qt,
>> it would give a tremendous push to the language. Not being
>> able to use easily some UI from D is holding back many people.
>> I think Qt is the only reason some people prefer C++ even now.
>
> I'm from C# world and this is exactly what will make a huge
> difference. Have a nice portable language with a nice portable
> UI
> toolkit.
> I would like to learn Qt, but for me C++ is a no go (I'm too
> much
> used to GC world simplicity/productivity).
>
> I like D, but i think much work is still needed to make it
> usable
> by masses.
> Still newb and learning, but for now what I observed that D is a
> productive language, comparable to C# and it can be really fast
> for many usecases.
>
> But I also observed from forum here:
> - no good UI capability - yes I really consider Qt as a must
> - not yet supported on arm/android/iOS,WP - why many Raspberry
> PI
> hackers are using python?? Would not this be a nice playground
> for D?
> - bad performance of GC (everyone arguing about this, specially
> for games)
> - small library (as compared to what you can do with standard
> java, .Net libs, this is just true)
>
> So what is actually a target audience of this language?
> I think that today its perfect for some backends, business layer
> logic infrastructure.
> For games? Well for some simple 2D/3D sure, but because of
> lacking GC its limited.
> Web development? Vibe.d is nice, but I think we need to have
> some
> complete framework to compete with ruby on rails, django for
> python, etc.
> Multiplatform UI apps? Without Qt, I'm not convinced.
>
> I like a progress the comunity is making (GDC, LDC2, vibe.d,
> dub,
> ...). If just there is a better GC, arm and mobile platforms
> support, decent UI framework as QT is, I think that that will
> make a huge step for D to be usable for a much wider userbase.
>
> I really dont get, why people should write portable UI apps in
> something like C or C++ if D is around. GC? I don't care about
> it
> in UI, it helps to make things implemented fast so for me its a
> must and performance critical blocks should be handled by
> backend
> anyway..

I would be interested to know what you think about my web service
framework so far[0]. Blog post about why I did it here[1]. I was
trying to sort our UI issues with DOOGLE[2]. But the latest talk
about a new UI system basically killed my want to work on it
altogether. It would have enabled building a GUI app and then
very simply building it for a web as well. Without changing much
code. Don't think any GUI toolkit exists that can do that.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/Cmsed
[1]
http://alphaglosined.blogspot.com/2014/01/creating-competing-web-service.html
[2] https://github.com/rikkimax/DOOGLE