std.signal : voting has begun

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Fri Jan 10 04:24:18 PST 2014

On 2014-01-06 09:11:07 +0000, Dicebot said:

> Some time ago there have been a review for `std.signal` Phobos proposal
> (http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ujlhznaphepibgtpcoqz@forum.dlang.org#post-ujlhznaphepibgtpcoqz:40forum.dlang.org).
> It have not received much feedback and I was a it too busy to proceed
> with final voting at that moment but with no outstanding issues to
> address nothing prevents that final step.
>
> Let's put 2 week deadline to refresh memories about the proposal and
> make some decision. Voting closes at January 20th 23:59 GMT 0
>
> Please take some time and help make Phobos better ;)

Hi, not really a comment regarding the actual implementation but I
think that good debug support for signales & slots helps a lot in using
it. What do I mean with this:

- a way to dump in a human readable form the run-time connections.
Which function / class / etc. is currently attached to which signal?
- automatic logging like a call-stack in a debugger to get an idea when
which signal is acted on
- a way to get the order of activation for debugging to identify
unwanted side-effects
- etc.

Big signal & slot implementaitons can be hard to debug, this should be
as simple as possible.

--
Robert M. Münch
Saphirion AG