Mobile App STACK4 with a D backend

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Jan 10 11:43:09 PST 2014

On 12/24/2013 7:37 AM, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 December 2013 at 10:44:56 UTC, extrawurst wrote:
>> On Sunday, 22 December 2013 at 19:48:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>>>
>>> Haven't tried the multiplayer, but it seems a really cool game. It
>>> took an absolute age to load, however.
>>
>> What exactly took ages ? The download, the loading on startup (unity
>> logo) or the stack4-splashscreen (logo) ?
>
> the unity logo stayed around with a little spinning tracer in the corner
> for a long time on first load. It seems to not be as slow on subsequent
> loads.

Sounds like it was just Mono JITing the game's assemblies. (Although on
some platforms, Unity does AOT compilation - I forget whether Android is
one of those.)

Or maybe it was Dalvik JITing Mono itself, but I would think most of
mono was written in native C/C++ code, so I dunno. Do you know if you've
run any Unity-built program on the device before?

For me, the part you describe only took about a couple seconds the first
time (Galaxy S3). What device were you using? I'm curious because I'm
using Unity, too (albeit with Nemerle instead of C#, but still).