Call D code from C#

Jim Hewes jimhewes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 09:09:07 PST 2014

On 1/9/2014 10:38 AM, anthonyb wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 17:56:46 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 16:15:23 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>>> Is QtD not good enough?
>>
>> When I tried it, a while ago, it was completely unusable - random
>> runtime crashes.
>
> Which i a real shame...If D was able to access a UI like Qt, it would
> give a tremendous push to the language. Not being able to use easily
> some UI from D is holding back many people. I think Qt is the only
> reason some people prefer C++ even now.

I agree UI is an issue. It's kind of a showstopper for me. If I were
writing programs for other programmers it wouldn't matter as much, but I
write them for normal people and so it has to have a GUI. I realize the
first priority is having a standard library, but UI is right up there.

I always run into two problems with volunteer open source projects. One,
it was  probably abandoned some years ago because the developers lost
interest and it no longer works. Two, you have to first install the
developer's three or four favorite tools before you can build it, some
of which may have their own dependencies. Coming from the Windows side
this is annoying.

I'd prefer to use wxWidgets. Not long ago I spent a day trying to get it
to work by just pulling the code into a Visual Studio project (with
Visual D) and fixing compilation errors. I got the sample program to run
which was encouraging, but it crashed after exit in what looked like the
GC so I gave up for now.

I may consider doing what you're doing and use C#/.Net framework for UI.

Jim