New debugger for D!!!

Sarath Kodali sarath at dummy.com
Tue Jan 28 09:00:12 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 15:23:28 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
> On Monday, 27 January 2014 at 16:42:14 UTC, Sarath Kodali wrote:
>> p1.1 SUSPENDED  [D main in dbg.d]
>> 179:      auto cmd = new Command(uiType);
>> dbg> step -o
>> p1.1 STEPPED  [D main in dbg.d]
>> 180:      cmd.rc_exec(GLOBAL_DBGRC_FILE);
>
> Would you mind putting the line number in the same line as the
> file name? I'm working on a debugger plugin for Vim, and I
> would obviously want to support your debugger once it's
> released. I find it easy to interpret the debugger output line
> by line, and it really makes things hard when I have to join
> data from multiple lines...
>
> You said you want to add JSON and\or CSV output formats, Vim
> doesn't support JSON natively and CSV is still multiple lines.
> So, if it wouldn't be too hard having data in the same line can
> be really be helpful!
>
> This is also true when printing values - having the expression
> and the result printed at the same line makes things easier to
> interpret.

   The output is configurable, independent of JSON or CSV, and
this is just one form. I will make it as easy of possible for
plug-ins to parse the output.

> BTW, would you mind picking a different name? I understand that
> "dbg" stands for "D Debugger", but there is already a debugger
> named "dbg"(http://www.php-debugger.com/dbg/) and with a name
> so generic I would be surprised if there aren't other debuggers
> with that name...

I did not do any research on name; just shortened "debug" to
"dbg" :)
I'm bad at coming up with good names, so any suggestions are
always welcome.

- Sarath