DConf 2014 Keynote: High Performance Code Using D by Walter Bright

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 22 08:44:00 PDT 2014

On 7/22/14, 3:03 AM, Don wrote:
> I don't really believe that there are two 'railway tracks' in the sense
> that that presentation implies. Once an error has occurred, typically
> not much more pipeline processing happens. As for Unix, stdout from one
> step is tied to stdin, but stderr is output only. There may be further
> processing of the stderr stream (eg, errors may be reported to a
> database), but the steps are completely independent from the main
> stdin-stdout track. I think you get a messy design if you try to combine
> both into a single pipeline.

The nice thing is that once the red track is taken, things go through
the other functions (which weren't written to take care of errorneous
inputs) automatically at a small syntactic cost (the "<>>" operator). --
Andrei