dfuse 0.3.0 - D Language bindings for Fuse

David Soria Parra via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 31 10:51:30 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 31 July 2014 at 14:02:28 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:

> Awesome!
>
> Will this be added to code.dlang.org?
> There's a question on reddit regarding performance. I'd guess
> performance should be quite good in general, but the simple
> example
> throws/allocates* Exceptions on missing files. Does this
> perform well
> enough?
>
> * I guess in this case you could 'cache' the exception in a
>   global variable, but druntime still allocates the stack trace
> (only
>   once though). Druntime uses some tricks to avoid these
> allocations
>   for OutOfMemory errors and this trick should probably work
> for dfuse
>   as well, but I still wonder if it isn't easier to simply
> return a
>   result code from getattr and readdir.

Hi Johannes,

the choice of using throw for exception was mostly to follow the
python-fuse bindings which we initially used for a prototype. I
agree that we could instead return a value for performance
considerations. However there is a balance of how many errors you
expect and, as far as I am concerned, the more convenient way of
reporting errors using exceptions up the callstack.