DConf 2014 Day 1 Talk 2

Piotrek via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 3 14:57:21 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 3 June 2014 at 16:43:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://news.ycombinator.com/newest
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/277k5c/dconf_2014_day_1_talk_2_templates_in_the_wild_a/
>
> Andrei

This talk was awesome - thank you Jonathan! I didn't see it when
streaming, so thanks for sharing. It's touchy mainly because it
brought some memories back. I was running my own business (soon
after finishing uni) and got into the data processing world after
taking some inquiry.

Funny thing is it's all started when I was asked to create some
*excel* stuff dealing with a gov data. I quickly moved to PHP
wagon as it was mainstream that days. After I figure out I was
betrayed by PHP euphoria I started to look for the perfect
programming language. Then I saw D and I knew it was it.
Unfortunately  my business didn't pay my bills already at that
time, so I had to say sorry to C++ and live with it (full time
job).

Now I make a living from C++ (quasi embedded), but D is my number
one as the language of choice, so I plan to reopen my business
again this time with D from the beginning. Time will tell :)

BTW. As as GUI dependant guy I still consider debugging as
Achilles heel of D (as referred in the talk to some extent, i.e.
stack traces, mangling etc).

My programming language path (only languages included with more
than 10k LOC written as I dealt with Python, Java, Matlab, Visual
Basic and other "crap")
1. Pascal (high school)
2. C++ (high school and uni)
3. PHP (late years of uni)