hap.random: a new random number library for D

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 11 09:35:30 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 10 June 2014 at 23:08:33 UTC, Chris Cain wrote:
> 4. I'd just like to say the idea of using ranges for seeds gets
> me giddy because I could totally see a range that queries
> https://random.org for true random bits to seed with, wrapped
> by a range that zeroes out the memory on popFront. Convenient
> and safe (possibly? Needs review before I get excited,
> obviously) for crypto purposes!

In some scenarios impredictability is not enough. For example,
when you generate a session id, an attacker doesn't have to
predict it ahead of time, he can guess it at any time later. And
if they listen to radio waves - that's an "open protocol", an
attacker can setup antenna near their antenna and get the same
readings. Cryptographic PRNG and quantum TRNG are better
isolated, so it's harder to read them.