DConf 2014 Day 1 Talk 4: Inside the Regular Expressions in D by Dmitry Olshansky

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 12 06:38:27 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 12 June 2014 at 09:17:45 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> This one thing I'm loosing sleep over - what precisely is so
> good in CTFE code generation in _practical_ context (DSL that
> is quite stable, not just tiny helpers)?

I've asked this same question before and my answer is mostly the
same as dicebot: I think reflection is the important bit. Of
course, even there it is sometimes useful to break it into two
steps (one just prints the data out kinda like dmd -X then a
regular program reads it and generates the code), but I find it
really useful to read D code and generate stuff based on that.

> By the end of day it's just about having to write a trivial
> line in your favorite build system (NOT make)

it is actually pretty trivial in make too...