dmd front end now switched to Boost license

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 13 23:06:50 PDT 2014

On 6/13/2014 8:15 PM, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Friday, 13 June 2014 at 11:31:10 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> 13-Jun-2014 04:31, Walter Bright пишет:
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3655

Heh, I had been under the impression was already Boost. :P

>> It's probably nice to have less restrictive license, but what we aim
>> to achieve with that?
>>
>> Make commercial companies contribute to DMD more freely?
>>     There is no problem even with GPL.
>> Let them build and sell their own products out of DMDFE?
>>     Highly unlikely to be a profitable anyway, and we'd better get
>> back the patches.
>
> Wild guess: DMD in fedora, debian et al. repositories ?

I doubt it. First, it's the backend that's not technically OSI, frontend
was (apparently) GPL. Second, I can't imagine any Linux distro rejecting
GPL - they'd have to boot the kernel and core utils, too.

Boost has kinda become the favored "D" license anyway, Phobos etc., so
it probably has a lot to do with that. Kinda weird to have the compiler
and stdlib under different licenses.