dmd front end now switched to Boost license

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 14 07:18:18 PDT 2014

14-Jun-2014 04:46, Walter Bright пишет:
> On 6/13/2014 4:31 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> It's probably nice to have less restrictive license, but what we aim
>> to achieve
>> with that?

I do not want to come across as rude but from pragmatic standpoint it's
not interesting. I'm not opposing it (after all I agreed to change it),
I just don't see any valuable gains.

> 1. Boost is the least restrictive license

This gains nothing in and by itself. 4 speaks of potential adv, which
realistically is not something we desperately want. Maybe as a proactive
move, that I could understand.

> 2. Minimize friction for adopting D

Let's not deluge ourselves, it does nothing to do that unlike many other
things. Changing license of G++ frontend to boost won't make people
adopt C++ any faster.

The only place of friction is backend, and opening FE for commerce
doesn't help it.

> 3. Harmonization with usage of Boost in the runtime library

In other words simplify licensing, but again compiler and runtime
library do not have to have anything in common. There is no issue to
begin with.

> 4. Allow commercial use of DMDFE (so what if someone does? It'll drive
> even more adoption of D!)

The only strictly valid point. Making commercial compilers and tools on
D front-end is the only solid result this move enables.

> 5. Boost is well known and accepted

All of licenses are well known. Again by itself it's not interesting, it
won't make dmd any more easy to get into FOSS distros.

--
Dmitry Olshansky