dmd front end now switched to Boost license

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 14 12:01:59 PDT 2014

On 6/14/2014 9:02 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Not really, the standard library is included into user code (because of
> the templates), and that's the reason why it needs to be under a very
> permissive license. The compiler, on the other hand, doesn't, and one
> could agree is good to force people wanting to build products using the
> compiler FE to contribute changes back. I guess the main purpose of this
> is encourage proprietary tools based on the FE, but if that's the case,
> there are better licenses for this, like the LGPL, which let proprietary
> tools to link code against the DMD FE without having to release their
> code under a free license.

Yes, it allows people to use DMDFE for whatever they want, including closed
source proprietary tools.

I understand very well how upsetting someone taking your code, creating a CSPT
and making money off of it without acknowledging you or contributing back to it.
This happened to me with my game Empire. It's a long and convoluted story, and I
won't bore you with it, just suffice to say I am not a stranger to how you feel
about it.

But D is different from a game in that it has network effects - the more
adoption it gets, the more momentum for adoption it accrues. By giving up a
slice of the pie the pie more than grows enough to compensate.

In other words, the D community still gains even if there are a few CSPTs made
from the front end.