dmd front end now switched to Boost license

Leandro Lucarella via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 14 17:20:11 PDT 2014

Kapps, el 14 de June a las 18:19 me escribiste:
> On Saturday, 14 June 2014 at 17:17:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> >On Saturday, 14 June 2014 at 17:07:58 UTC, Leandro Lucarella
> >wrote:
> >>OK, as a side effect of this, this might encourage companies not
> >>to use
> >>D but to develop tools based on DMDFE, but companies that are
> >>too lazy
> >>or to BAD not to contribute the changes back, which I'm not sure
> >>is such
> >>a good idea.
> >
> >I believe it is good thing. Standard tool chain should be as
> >permissive as possible, with no expectations from the potential
> >users whatsoever. If someone goes with proprietary closed solution
> >and succeeds - it is their choice and risk to do so.
>
> And if they do so, it's beneficial to D overall.

Not if they don't contribute back the changes (at least compared to
using a license that allows them to build proprietary tools by linking
to DMDFE but forcing them to contribute back the changes to DMDFE
itself). I find hard to believe companies willing to do a full closed
source proprietary tool are willing to use DMDFE with Boost license but
not with LGPL.

In any case, I clarify once more that probably in practice this makes a
very tiny difference because usually you have to be too stupid to
maintain a fork instead of contributing changes back and let upstream
take care of all the updates, so I think that will hardly happens, this
is more a ethical issue than a practical issue.

I just wanted to point out that there might be more ethical licenses to
achieve the same effect (allowing companies to build proprietary tools
on top on DMDFE).