dmd front end now switched to Boost license

Leandro Lucarella via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 14 17:35:49 PDT 2014

Joakim, el 14 de June a las 19:31 me escribiste:
> On Saturday, 14 June 2014 at 17:07:58 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >No free license restrict commercial use. What using boost enable
> >is only
> >proprietary use, i.e. changing the DMD FE and keeping the changes
> >private, even if you distribute the binary with the compiled
> >DMDFE. As I
> >said before, there are licenses that allow anyone linking your
> >code to
> >non-free code, but you still have to provide the source code of
> >the
> >modified DMDFE if you distribute it. An example is LGPL.
>
> The frontend was dual-licensed under the Artistic license, which
> also allows such proprietary use, so nothing has really changed.

Mmm, even when is true that the Artistic license is a bit more
permissive than the GPL in some aspects, I think is hardly suitable for
doing serious proprietary software (that you intent to sell).

>From the artistic license that was distributed by DMD:
"You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However, you may
distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly commercial)
programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software distribution
provided that you do not advertise this Package as a product of your
own."

Is a bit hairy, I don't think any companies would want to do proprietary
tools using the artistic license :)

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/blob/083271a415716cf3e35321f91826397d91c0a731/src/artistic.txt

> I realize you prefer the LGPL, to force others to contribute back to
> the frontend if they modify and distribute it, but the Boost license
> is much simpler and as Walter points out, proprietary use can help
> D's adoption.

Again, I think from the practical point of view is the same. If you use
boost license and tons of proprietary tools come out CHANGING the DMDFE
and not contributing back, then the D community might get a boost
because the have better tools but they are missing the contributions, so
is hard to tell if the balance would be positive or negative. If they
don't change the DMDFE (or contribute back the changes), then using
boost or LGPL are the same, because it doesn't matter.