DConf Day 1 Talk 6: Case Studies in Simplifying Code with Compile-Time Reflection by Atila Neves

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 15:09:05 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 17:10:16 UTC, Mengu wrote:
> On Monday, 16 June 2014 at 22:14:01 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> The reddit response this year hasn't been particularly
>> impressive it seems to me compared to last year :(
>
> r/programming and hn is all about rust and go. on hn many d
> posts are invisible after some time. i believe mods are taking
> action there. if we want their attention, we should compare d
> with others; we should benchmark d and brag about the results
> etc. other than that, people are not paying attention to D and
> it's beautiful features.

I don't know why people bother with those silly sites, which I
don't read at all unless they're linked here.  None of these
benchmarks or other links matter.  Nobody paid attention to ruby
for a decade, until David Hansson built rails with it.

I have seen over and over again that nobody has the ability to
reason about an idea or tool like this.  You have to build
something better with it, something they want, then they'll all
flock to use or copy it.

You want to show how great D is, build something great with it.
Nothing else matters.

> and also the genius idea to post each talk seperately instead
> of having a nice talks page on dconf.org and providing a link
> for that. i'd understand the keynotes but for the rest of the
> talks this is / was not a good idea.

Don't you know that it's better to maintain a steady stream of
publicity for D on sites full of people who always dismiss it,
rather than making the talks available immediately to the people
who actually use D and want to watch them?

endSarcasm();

I don't mind it as much, because I'm not bingeing on the talks
and spreading out watching them instead, but it'd be nice to see
the talks I missed on the livestream and want to watch now,
rather than at some indeterminate date in the future.