Facebook open sources flint, a C++ linter written in D

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Sun Mar 2 13:48:09 PST 2014

On Sunday, 2 March 2014 at 21:41:26 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Personally, I've never really understood the benefit one way or
> another of related tools being in one binary vs multiple
> binaries. As I see it, the important thing is that all relevant
> *source* is well-encapsulated. Unless you're on a system where
> kilobytes matter (ie, if you're in a time warp), anything else
> just comes down to a matter of:

Main difference that matters is separation of the code base that
makes maintenance of each tool independent from compiler core and
thus easier. This also propagates to separation of CLI flags and
configuration files and so on, allowing for more combined
interface complexity.

git CLI is designed hierarchically so passing all those
parameters is obvious. This can't be done for dmd without
changing it CLI completely or introducing some weird hacks.