D/Objective-C 64bit

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Wed Mar 12 02:26:56 PDT 2014

On 12 March 2014 07:10, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 23:20:23 UTC, Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> The codegen elements in objc.c will need to be changed to bind to the
>> LLVM/GCC backend. Shouldn't be too hard, I guess.
>

> Yeah, since Objective-C uses the C calling convention it's mostly about
> outputting symbols and data to the object files.

In what ABI may I ask?  Your choices are:
- Traditional (32bit) ABI without properties and Obj-C 2.0 additions
- Traditional (32bit) ABI with properties and Obj-C 2.0 additions
- Modern (64bit) ABI

That can be mixed in with either:
- GNU Runtime ABI
- NeXT Runtime ABI

Each combination being incompatible with each other subtly different ways...