Bountysource activity

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Mar 13 11:40:00 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:20:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1325905-shared-phobos-library-doesn-t-work-on-all-linux-distributions
>
> Over $2000 in open bounties left:
>
> https://www.bountysource.com/trackers/383571-d-programming-language

Looks like most of these are on compiler bugs.

The only Phobos one is the std.getopt one, however its situation
is two abandoned patches and no clear goal as to what constitutes
a change worthy of marking the issue as "fixed" and paying out
the bounty.

As for the compiler bugs... well, all of these are HARD, at least
from the perspective of someone inexperienced with DMD's
codebase. If they were easy, they'd have been solved already. DMD
is not something you can easily dive into and start moving code
around to fix big problems. Speaking from experience, it wasn't
once that a 50-line patch would take me days to author and debug.
And even if I were to manage through, the chances are high that
the patch ends up crap because you need a lot of knowledge about
how the compiler works to understand what's a good idea, and what
isn't. Not even Kenji's pulls are always approved.

However, the biggest problem is the open pull request count. What
good is authoring a patch if no one wants to take time to review
it?

IMHO, we don't need more bug bounties - we need REVIEWER
bounties. Some way to convince more experienced D developers to
review others' contributions. I have a number of open DMD pull
requests myself, and sometimes I consider bribing someone to just
look at them.