Bountysource activity

Andrea Fontana nospam at example.com
Fri Mar 14 01:44:23 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:40:01 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:20:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1325905-shared-phobos-library-doesn-t-work-on-all-linux-distributions
>>
>> Over $2000 in open bounties left:
>>
>> https://www.bountysource.com/trackers/383571-d-programming-language
>
> Looks like most of these are on compiler bugs.
>
> The only Phobos one is the std.getopt one, however its
> situation is two abandoned patches and no clear goal as to what
> constitutes a change worthy of marking the issue as "fixed" and
> paying out the bounty.

+1

> As for the compiler bugs... well, all of these are HARD, at
> least from the perspective of someone inexperienced with DMD's
> codebase. If they were easy, they'd have been solved already.
> DMD is not something you can easily dive into and start moving
> code around to fix big problems. Speaking from experience, it
> wasn't once that a 50-line patch would take me days to author
> and debug. And even if I were to manage through, the chances
> are high that the patch ends up crap because you need a lot of
> knowledge about how the compiler works to understand what's a
> good idea, and what isn't. Not even Kenji's pulls are always
> approved.

+1

It's hard to dive into dmd's codebase. And probably it takes a
lot of time to understand it and to feel confortable enought to
try some fixes.

Fixing phobos bugs probably is quite easier for a D user. You
just need to know phobos and D to fix a bug and you don't need
compiler-related topics. I think that in this case a small reward
could fight the lazyness of users.