Dragging Gunroar into 2014

Ben Boeckel mathstuf+dlang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:42:13 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 21:16:22 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> GDC will work as-is since it's GCC-compatible here).
>
> GDC can also output dependencies in GNU/Make format, which is
> useful for incremental builds.  :-)

Yep ;) . The thing that is broken is Ninja + LDC without patches
and Make + LDC is broken even with patches unless Make or CMake
learns how to read its files (or LDC writes Make-like depfiles).

> There are about a dozen D games in Debian that all use gdc to
> build then, gunroar included in that list.  Originally they
> were packaged on all supported platforms Debian provides
> repositories for (ARM, PPC, SPARC, MIPS, Hurd, BSD/Debian,
> etc).  Switching to D2 meant loosing support because the
> library lacked it  (needless to say, the game maintainers
> were a bit grumpy, but mostly enjoyed the banter whilst I
> helped them learn D and port the to D2 at the same time. :)

Yeah, it seems like no one has actually tried to modernize the
games,
instead doing the minimum amount of work needed to get them to
compile.
SDL2 support and binding wrappers actually maintained are worth
the
migration, IMO. Plus an actual build system rather than a hacky
ant
build file ;) . I also wouldn't say I "know" D still; it's close
enough to C++ to be able to divine what's going on, but I still
have
the standard library reference open all the time :) .

> Compare the arch package list at the bottom of these pages:
>
> D1:  https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/gunroar
> D2:  https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gunroar
>
> I would like to tell them that this is going to be fixed before
> the next release.

This is beyond my scope right now, but it's nice to know that
other
arch support (namely ARM) is in the works.

--Ben