Delight Programming Language

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:47:09 PDT 2014

On Friday, 28 March 2014 at 07:20:31 UTC, Peter Plantinga wrote:
> The D programming language is great, and it is starting to get
> the recognition it deserves. I've seen it reach the top 20 in
> many different measures of language popularity.
>
> What it is though, is a systems language. Of course it has many
> features of a higher-level language, which is what makes it
> great. But I've had an idea for another language, a high-level
> language, that is nearly as fast as a similar D program.
>
> What it looks like is a D preprocessor that translates
> Python-like code into D code. It was done before, and the
> result was called Delight. I'm reviving this idea (though with
> entirely new code, since the previous version was with D1).
>
> A short list of the best features (that aren't already a part
> of D):
>
> * Python-like syntax
> * List comprehensions
> * "0 .. x" works everywhere, as I would expect it to
>
> If you're interested, check it out at
> http://github.com/pplantinga/delight. I need people to break it
> and argue about design decisions.
>
> A more complete description of the language can be found at
> http://pplantinga.github.io/archives/delight-programming-language.html
> and related pages.

Just out of interest, but any plans to convert blocks of delight
code in a file and output the resulting D version? Also will that
work at CTFE?
I could see some use for this if my plans for when D's front end
is in D fully.
Note I have some evil plans involving a macro preprocessor and a
c frontend ;)