My D book is now officially coming soon

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 06:39:50 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 13:19:09 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> Holy s**t, that is a lot! How did you manage to fit all this in
> 337 pages?!

Each individual item tended to only be about 3 pages, some
shorter, a few longer (I had a fair chunk to say about ranges and
reflection, not so much to say about threads and phobos) and in
some cases I kinda ask the reader to take things on faith.

Mostly, I explain the faith stuff on the following page, but in
the bare metal thing, like i said before, some of it is just
"that interacts with the hardware, trust me". So that chapter was
only about 15 pages.... a lot for two "recipes" ("hello world"
and "handling interrupts"), but certainly not a comprehensive
covering of the subject.

I gotta writing my dconf talk next though that will go a bit more
into it, but again, with a focus on druntime functions more than
on how the hardware actually works.

> I assume it has standard PACKT format ("give it a go hero"
> etc)? Bought it and waiting for a release :) Congratz!

yeah, it starts with a list of steps, then usually shows code
(not always a complete program but usually), then some talk about
how it works and covering details.

the code should also be available as a separate download for each
thing so you can run it more easily and play with it that way.