Tkd - Cross platform GUI toolkit based on Tcl/Tk

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu May 8 13:43:18 PDT 2014

On 5/8/2014 4:35 PM, Ben Boeckel via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 15:41:57 -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> Or better yet, don't. Steam's UI is terrible. Clicking search
>> suggestions often does nothing, the search result paging is goofy as
>> hell and very impractical, the whole thing's absurdly sluggish, in
>> general ignores any and all system settings, menu dropdowns open upon
>> hover instead of click, and, oh yea, my trackpad's scrolling gestures
>> don't even fucking work on it (they work fine on nearly anything else).
>>
>> That's all just off the top of my head. From what I've seen of Tk so
>> far, Steam would have been *far* better if it had used it instead of
>> going to the bother of reinventing everything really, really badly.
>> (Well, at least Steam isn't all-green anymore like it used to be :/ )
>
> IIRC, Steam is a Java beast, so I wouldn't go off and blame Qt/Gtk for
> that.
>
> --Ben

I wasn't trying to blame Qt/Gtk (actually, I kinda like Qt stuff - I've
heard it's not technically native UI, but hell if I can actually tell
the difference. They've done a damn fine job.)

I was just saying Steam likely would have been better had they used
something more sensible like Tk instead of going off rolling their own
GUI. Qt probably would have work out alright, too. Not to say that Tk/Qt
would have solved all of Steam's problems, but I imagine it would've
likely been at least an improvement *even* if Tk isn't intended for
non-simplistic stuff. A lot of that non-simple stuff isn't really a good
idea anyway.