GDC binaries updated

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri May 9 07:34:34 PDT 2014

On 9 May 2014 12:20, Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2014 17:42, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>>
>> Am Wed, 07 May 2014 14:38:32 +0100
>> schrieb Bruno Medeiros <bruno.do.medeiros+dng at gmail.com>:

>>> Glad to hear there is some progress here, but are there plans to make
>>> this supported in the future?
>>>
>>> Also, what is the difference between Daniel Green's build, and the
>>> native Standard Builds?
>>>

>> Daniels builds apply some more patches, see
>> https://github.com/venix1/MinGW-GDC for details.
>> The builds on gdcproject.org use the standard git sources of gdc which
>> only include the subset of these patches that's necessary to compile &
>> run a hello world program.
>>

> I'm not familiar with the internals of compiler and runtime architecture,
> but I'm curious, why is is that so many complicated patches are necessary?
> I understand the D runtime has to access Windows API, correct? But that
> should all be available in the MinGW target as well, no? Otherwise, what is
> the difference here when DMD for Windows is compiled, vs when GDC is
> compiled?

DMD x86 on Windows uses the Digital Mars toolchain for linking, etc.
DMD x86_64 on Windows uses the MSVC toolchain for linking, etc.
GDC on Windows uses the GNU toolchain for linking, etc.

Another potentially crucial difference is that DMD compiles directly
to object file.  GCC requires an assembler installed.  This probably
does make it easier for DMD to invented custom sections for its own
abuse.