GDC binaries updated

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 13 05:59:59 PDT 2014

On 09/05/2014 15:34, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 9 May 2014 12:20, Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2014 17:42, Johannes Pfau wrote:

>>> Daniels builds apply some more patches, see
>>> https://github.com/venix1/MinGW-GDC for details.
>>> The builds on gdcproject.org use the standard git sources of gdc which
>>> only include the subset of these patches that's necessary to compile &
>>> run a hello world program.
>>>

>> I'm not familiar with the internals of compiler and runtime architecture,
>> but I'm curious, why is is that so many complicated patches are necessary?
>> I understand the D runtime has to access Windows API, correct? But that
>> should all be available in the MinGW target as well, no? Otherwise, what is
>> the difference here when DMD for Windows is compiled, vs when GDC is
>> compiled?
>>

> DMD x86 on Windows uses the Digital Mars toolchain for linking, etc.
> DMD x86_64 on Windows uses the MSVC toolchain for linking, etc.
> GDC on Windows uses the GNU toolchain for linking, etc.

Yeah, this much I knew already.

> Another potentially crucial difference is that DMD compiles directly
> to object file.  GCC requires an assembler installed.  This probably
> does make it easier for DMD to invented custom sections for its own
> abuse.

So it's not so much the D runtime (the 'core', 'rt', 'gc', etc, modules
of the D standard library) that is lacking and in need of
patches/changes, but rather the DMD frontend and code generator, right?
If so, I think I understand.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros