OpenGL Examples in D and a birth of a New Initiative

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 14 23:30:11 PDT 2014

On 15/05/2014 5:01 p.m., Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> I tried to gather support for a community game project (FeedBack).
> Lots of interest, but nobody actually joined the party when I kicked
> it off.
>
> On 15 May 2014 05:04, Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> I am starting an initiative for everyone interested in D game
>> development by creating the github organization d-gamedev-team[1].
>>
>> The first project hosted here is the the freshly created
>> opengl-tutorials[2] project. This is a long-term project that aims to
>> collect as many modern OpenGL examples ported to D or even provide new
>> examples created from scratch in D. All the examples should be easy to
>> build, provided you have a fresh D compiler and a recent version of
>> the dub[3] dependency manager / builder tool.
>>
>> Currently the project contains an almost-complete port of the samples
>> contained on the website opengl-tutorial.org[4] - which cover OpenGL
>> v3.3x and were created by Sam Hocevar. The D examples are not straight
>> ports, they have been D-ified and may contain more features than their
>> original counterparts. They also use 3rd-party D OpenGL wrappers to
>> avoid a lot of scaffolding work typical of OpenGL applications.
>>
>> Thanks to dub[3] you won't have to manually install the D
>> dependencies. However you may have to install some C/C++ 3rd-party
>> library dependencies, such as GLFW, SDL2, SDL2 Image, and potentially
>> other libraries depending on the ones the samples require. The
>> dependencies are documented in the project's readme[5].
>>
>> Additional OpenGL example ports are planned and some are already in
>> progress but have not yet been pushed upstream. See the
>> opengl-tutorials[2] github repo for a list of ports which are in
>> progress and a list of desired ports.
>>
>> If you wish to contribute with your own ports or with brand new D
>> OpenGL examples don't hesitate to make a pull request. I want the
>> d-gamedev-team organization to gradually grow and have it host as many
>> useful projects, whether it be libraries, tools, tutorials, tips &
>> tricks, assets, or anything else related to D game development.
>>
>> I am strongly interested in game development in D, and although I'm at
>> a starting stage I'm very much committed to working on this project to
>> the best of my abilities. Hopefully in a few years we'll see some
>> major titles made entirely in D. But before that can happen we have to
>> make a collective push to bring D to a higher stage where it's
>> acceptable and viable to game developers, whether it be through
>> language support (@nogc/allocators) or library and tooling support.
>>
>> We'll see where this goes, but I'm very excited for the future! Cheers. :o)
>>
>> [1] : https://github.com/d-gamedev-team
>> [2] : https://github.com/d-gamedev-team/opengl-tutorials
>> [3] : http://code.dlang.org/download
>> [4] : http://opengl-tutorial.org/
>> [5] : https://github.com/d-gamedev-team/opengl-tutorials/tree/master/ports/opengl-tutorial.org

Yeah I was one of those people who wanted to work on it. Unfortunately
that was while I was working on DOOGLE and pre aurora commencing. That
to me really killed my enthusiasm.

Personally I'm waiting for aurora before starting up on the GUI front.