OpenGL Examples in D and a birth of a New Initiative

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu May 15 06:52:04 PDT 2014

On 16/05/2014 1:38 a.m., Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 15 May 2014 23:24, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 16/05/2014 12:07 a.m., Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

>>> What's doogle and aurora? And why did that kill enthusiasm?
>>
>> DOOGLE[0] was my attempt at a gui toolkit. And aurora is this[1].
>> I would have replied earlier but it appears that there has been enough
>> changes with dub and dmd that it just won't. But I managed to grab an old
>> build and here is its output [2].
>> Not really that nice but hey, was my go at it.
>>
>> I was building it as pretty much the all in one toolbox for D and OpenGL and
>> with Aurora getting more support, the issues I was having continuing just
>> kinda was the last straw.
>> And anyways I'm better at web development then game dev. Never really
>> understood the 3d pipeline.
>
> Those aurora repos appear to be empty :/
> Is aurora intended to be a GUI toolkit?
Only DirectX has code so far from what I've heard and seen.

> I still think there's huge need for a realtime gfx environment GUI toolkit.
I'm completely on board with that, but I really don't have the skills
for it. But hey we also need a web service framework aimed at enterprise
in D and that's my target work now days.

> But if I were you, I wouldn't be marrying it to any particular gfx
> API. Just make sure to structure the API to allow backends (like
> OpenGL) to be plugged in.
It was designed to be completely independent of any 3d api. In theory
you could have a different implementation of controls to a window.
But I never bothered going there considering.
In fact I had plans to make it like GWT does as another backend and
hooking it up to Vibe.