OpenGL Examples in D and a birth of a New Initiative

Colden Cullen via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 19 14:00:36 PDT 2014

On Monday, 19 May 2014 at 20:46:43 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 5/19/14, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Btw, I'm currently porting the Box2D physics engine to D.
>
> For a second there I thought Dash was a 2D game engine, but
> it's a 3D
> one, which is awesome! 2D physics can still be used with 3D
> graphics
> to some great effect. But ultimately I would really want us to
> have a
> 3D physics engine.
>
> I've been eyeing the Bullet physics engine. There have been
> several
> attempts at writing bindings, but I think we (s/we/I) should
> make a
> port instead. It will definitely take some work though. Porting
> Box2D
> took me personally about two days of work (~20Kloc C++
> codebase),
> Bullet is ~150Kloc, but using things like regex for conversion
> wouldn't scale here. Using a modified parser such as Daniel
> Murphy's
> magicport or a C++ parser based on DScanner would probably work.
>
> Anyway, I'm just rumbling out loud here to some of my future
> plans.
> All of this will likely take a longer initial delay because I'm
> relocating soon, so things will be hectic. :)

Good to hear about Box2D! We just had someone approach us about
using our engine for a 2D physics based game, so we'll definitely
point him in your direction.

As far as bullet goes, that would be amazing, but definitely no
small undertaking. We talked about it internally, but decided it
wasn't worth the time for just trying to get Dash off the ground.
You should know, though, that if you do it, you'll have at least
one user :)