Scott Meyers' DConf 2014 keynote "The Last Thing D Needs"

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 00:23:09 PDT 2014

On 5/27/2014 10:40 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> When he explained why C++ inferred a const int type as int, he tripped me up
> because D does drop const for value types. But D does the simple to explain
> thing, may not be the expected thing (seen questions about it in D.learn), but
> it is simple to explain.

We have at times opted for an "easy to explain" rule rather than a semantically
perfect one. For example, I've rejected several proposals to make function
overloading more fine-grained on such grounds.

I've rarely met anyone who could explain how C++'s function overloading rules
actually work, they just try arbitrary things until it selects the function they
want it to.