Scott Meyers' DConf 2014 keynote "The Last Thing D Needs"

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 06:05:52 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 21:40:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/27/2014 2:22 PM, w0rp wrote:
>> I'm actually a native speaker of 25 years and I didn't get it
>> at first. Natural
>> language communicates ideas approximately.
>
> What bugs me is when people say:
>
>    I could care less.
>
> when they mean:
>
>    I couldn't care less.
>

> and:
>
>    If you think that, you have another thing coming.
>
> when they mean:
>
>    If you think that, you have another think coming.

Whats wrong with "If you think that, you have another thing
coming."?

I've always understood it sort of like say your Father saying:

"If you think that [i.e. you can steal your little brother's ice
cream cone], then  you have another thing [i.e no ice cream, but
maybe the leather strap] coming."