Scott Meyers' DConf 2014 keynote "The Last Thing D Needs"

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 20:29:12 PDT 2014

Okay. That seriously got munged. Let's try that again...

On Tue, 27 May 2014 06:42:41 -1000
Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/26m8hy/scott_meyers_dconf_2014_keynote_the_last_thing_d/
>
> https://news.ycombinator.com/newest (search that page, if not found
> click "More" and search again)
>
> https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/855022447844771
>
> https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/471330026168651777

Fortunately, for the most part, I think that we've avoided the types of
inconsistencies that Scott describes for C++, but we do definitely have some
of our own. The ones that come to mind at the moment are:

1. The order of the dimensions of multi-dimensional static arrays is backwards
in comparison to what most everyone expects.

    int[4][5][6] foo;

is the same as

    int foo[6][5][4];

and has the same dimensions as

    auto bar = new int[][][](6, 5, 4);

The reasons for it stem from the fact that the compiler reads types outward
from the variable name (which is very important to understand in C because of
its function pointer syntax but not so important in D). However, once we did

    const(int)* foo;

and didn't allow

    (int)const* foo;

I think that we threw that particular bit of consistency with C/C++ out the
window, and we really should have just made static array dimensions be read
from left-to-right. Unfortunately, I don't think that we can fix that at this
point, because doing so would cause silent breakage (or at minimum, would be
silent until RangeErrors were thrown at runtime).

2. We're inconsistent with dynamic array dimensions.

    auto foo = new int[5];

is the same as

    auto foo = new int[](5);

but once you get into multi-dimensional arrays, it's just confusing, because

    auto foo = new int[4][5][6];

does _not_ declare a multi-dimensional dynamic array but rather a dynamic
array of length 6 which contains a multi-dimensonal static array of dimensions
4 and 5. Instead, what you need to do is

    auto foo = new int[][][](4, 5, 6);

IMHO, we should have made it illegal to have dynamic array dimensions inside
of the brackets rather than the parens, but I don't know if we can change
that. It wouldn't be silent breakage, but it _would_ make it so that a lot of
existing code would be broken - especially because so many people put the
array dimensions between the brackets for single-dimension dynamic arrays.

3. const, immutable, and inout on the left-hand side of a function declaration
are unfortunately legal. This inevitably trips people up, because they think
that the attribute applies to the return type, when it applies to the function
itself. This is to make the function attributes consistent, because all of the
others can go on either side, but the result is that it's essentially bad
practice to ever put any attribute on the left-hand side which could apply to
the return type, because it looks like a bug. If we just made it illegal for
those attributes to go on the left, the problem would be solved, and the
result would be far less confusing and bug-prone. I think that we can make
that change with minimal breakage (since it's already bad practice to put them
no the left-hand side), but AFAIK, Walter is against the idea.

4. There are some cases (such as with static constructors and unittest blocks)
that the attributes have to go on the left for some reason. I don't remember
the reasons for it, but it's an inconsistency which definitely trips up even
seasoned D programmers from time to time.

5. The fact that pure is called pure is very problematic at this point as far
as explaining things to folks goes. We should probably consider renaming it to
something like @noglobal, but I'm not sure that that would go over very well
given the amount of breakage involved. It _does_ require a lot of explaining
though.

6. The situation with ranges and string is kind of ugly, with them being
treated as ranges of code points. I don't know what the correct solution to
this is, since treating them as ranges of code units promotes efficiency but
makes code more error-prone, whereas treating them as ranges of graphemes
would just cost too much. Ranges of code points is _mostly_ correct but still
incorrect and _more_ efficient than graphemes but still quite a bit less
efficient than code units. So, it's kind of like it's got the best and worst
of both worlds. The current situation causes inconsistencies with everything
else (forcing us to use isNarrowString all over the place) and definitely
requires frequent explaining, but it does prevent some classes of problems.
So, I don't know. I used to be in favor of the current situation, but at this
point, if we could change it, I think that I'd argue in faver of just treating
them as ranges of code units and then have wrappers for ranges of code points
or graphemes. It seems like the current situation promotes either using
ubyte[] (if you care about efficiency) or the new grapheme facilities in
std.uni if you care about correctness, whereas just using strings as ranges of
dchar is probably a bad idea unless you just don't want to deal with any of
the Unicode stuff, don't care all that much about efficiency, and are willing
have bugs in the areas where operating at the code point level is incorrect.

7. There are several minor inconsistencies with local imports and nested
functions in comparison to module-level imports or free functions, and I think
that some of those should be fixed, but I'm not sure that all of them can be.

That's what I can think of at the moment (though I'm sure that there are
others, and this post is already probbaly too long). So, we definitely have
our own consistency issues, but I do think that we're still far better off
than C++ in that regard. Fortunately, while Phobos still has some naming
issues, a lot of the naming inconsistencies were sorted out a couple of years
ago, and we have solved a number of other inconsistencies in the language and
library over time, so if anything, we've probably been _reducing_ the number
of inconsistencies that we have rather than increasing them. But we should
look at reducing them further if we can and should _definitely_ keep an eye
out for areas where more inconsistencies could creep in.

- Jonathan M Davis