Scott Meyers' DConf 2014 keynote "The Last Thing D Needs"

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 10:38:51 PDT 2014

On 05/29/2014 08:22 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

 > On Thu, 29 May 2014 07:32:48 -0700
 > Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
 > <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
 >
 >> On 05/29/2014 03:00 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
 >> wrote:
 >>   > I don't see how you could argue that they don't have
 >> multi-dimensional arrays.
 >>
 >> Their specs don't have such a thing. It is possible to have arrays
 >> where elements are arrays but that does not make those concepts
 >> language constructs.
 >
 > And how as an array of arrays _not_ a multi-dimensional array? As far
as I can
 > tell, they're exactly the same thing just phrased differently.

It is not a multi-dimensional array from the point of view of the
language spec. There is no such thing. Although, I agree that it exists
as a concept and in human speech.

What you seem to expect from the language is the acceptance of the
concept of multi-dimensional array as a first-class language construct.
You want the language to have a special multi-dimensional array
declaration syntax.

What I am saying is that since there is no such language construct,
coming up with a special syntax just to satisfy some of the users would
be an inconsistency in the language, which contradicts what everybody is
looking for (Scott, you, be, etc. :) )

 > - Jonathan M Davis

Ali