Scott Meyers' DConf 2014 keynote "The Last Thing D Needs"

Regan Heath via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri May 30 01:59:53 PDT 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:40:10 +0100, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 5/29/2014 11:25 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> Agreed. The simple dream of automatically decoding UTF and staying
>> "Unicode
>> correct" is a failure.
>
> Yes. Attempting to hide the fact that strings are UTF-8 is just doomed.
> It's like trying to pretend that floating point does not do rounding.
>
> It's far more practical to embrace what it is and deal with it. Yes, D
> programmers will need to understand what UTF-8 is. I don't see any way
> around that.

And it's the right choice.  4 of the 7 billion people in the world today
are in Asia and by 2100 80% of the worlds population will be in Asia and
Africa.

http://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/it-is-not-about-political-views-or-ideologies-it-is-blunt-facts-which-are-not-known