dmedia library

luminousone via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 6 22:58:40 PST 2014

On Friday, 7 November 2014 at 06:42:24 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 7/11/2014 7:38 p.m., luminousone wrote:
>> On Friday, 7 November 2014 at 06:29:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
>> wrote:

>>> Its a good start.
>>> But instead of creating the window itself manually would you
>>> consider
>>> using DWC [0]?
>>>
>>> DWC is more or less done. But I need help with my plans for a
>>> game dev
>>> framework in D.
>>> If you're interested in helping with that please give me an
>>> email
>>> first at lastname.co.nz
>>>
>>> [0] https://github.com/rikkimax/DWC
>>
>> XLIB is an absolute train wreck when it comes to threading,
>> call
>> XPollEvent outside your draw thread will most likely segfault.
>>
>> As well I need control of the opengl contexts, as I want to
>> separate
>> drawing and loading into separate threads.
>>
>> I need both good threading support, and control over my opengl
>> contexts
>> to fulfill the goals I have set for myself.
>>
>> That said, it is a nice looking library. But it would not
>> fulfill my needs.
>
> Fair enough. Threading is a major issue with those low level
> api's.

I eventually want to build a entity system, and make use of
parallel_foreach, or fibers/routines, and have a loading thread
that can get assets in an async fashion.

Large voxel/cube-voxel systems and mega texturing interest me, I
feel like a small team could develop a big game with tools built
around a voxel system.

XCB mostly solves the threading issues that XLIB suffers from,
However XCB has poor support for the input extensions, as of yet
nothing that replaces xlookupstring, I hope to find a good work
around at some point, but it seems good "enough" for my needs.

Also I am not sure of how well XXf86vm extension is supported for
full screen access, As I have yet to implement full screen
windows.

Its a learning experience, however so I can't complain to much!