Blog Post - Reducing vibe.d turnaround time (Part 2 Less Compiling)

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 17 22:18:27 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 00:55:31 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 00:41:42 UTC, Martin Nowak
> wrote:
>> Second part on my series to reduce vibe.d turnaround time.
>> In this part we'll reduce compilation time by 60%.
>>
>> https://code.dawg.eu/reducing-vibed-turnaround-time-part-2-less-compiling.html
>
> From the post:
>
> I think I need to think of a different way to present imported
> module times in DBuildStat output, because the current way is
> unintuitive and easy to misinterpret. The blue bars of each
> module should not be summed together, they're there only to
> give you a clue of how much (in compiler time) a certain module
> is importing - but the time will be shared for all modules in
> non-incremental compilation (you can think of it as if the blue
> bars are actually overlapping each other). The total time will
> be proportional to the sum of the lengths of the non-blue bars
> (red/orange in Martin's blog post, green/red in DBuildStat's
> SVG visualizer).

I think that's what I meant by
https://github.com/CyberShadow/DBuildStat/issues/1.

> As far as I know, there's no reason to think DBuildStat's
> output is inaccurate.

The timing noise is a slight problem, sometimes compilation is
faster than parsing or justimports. Otherwise it's a really nice
tool.