D is for Data Science

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 25 00:31:06 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 01:10:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 4:50 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 00:34:30 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> Thought I'd post this as a counterpoint to the recent "please
>>> break our code"
>>> thread.
>>
>> I would caution against putting very much weight in Reddit
>> opinions - there's
>> people who will never use D and just look for excuses to
>> justify their prejudice
>> and there's people who think they want something, but don't
>> really have any idea
>> (this is common in feature requests, as I'm sure you know)
>>
>> That comment, in particular, seems very questionable to me.
>> dstats at least
>> compiles out of the box and has github activity within the
>> last few months. It
>> has a lot of templates, so maybe actually using it would
>> reveal compilation
>> problems, but at quick glance it seems to work.
>
> I know it's a tough call. But I do see these sorts of comments
> regularly, and it is a fact that there are too many D libraries
> gone to seed that won't compile anymore, and that makes us look
> bad.

If that it's the problem, it's time to go ahead with an explicit
support for the work done in dfix, no?
It's not a silver bullet, but it's a clear indication to the
potential adopters that there's a plan, and actively indicate
that definitely "we care" about that particular issue, common to
every language.

---
/Paolo